.

.
.

Wednesday 21 September 2016

If Given the Chance, What Do You Ask your Guru?

Image result for summit at the pierWhen the story first came across my Facebook feed that Sir Ken Robinson was going to be speaking in Victoria, I was dubious. The Facebook post told of a conference that was being held called, Summit at the Pier, and Sir Ken was going to be the keynote speaker. Within seconds, I was on the Summit's webpage signing up as a volunteer, sending in my bio, professing my willingness to do anything just to have the chance to be in close proximity to the man that changed everything for me.

I watched my very first TED Talk about six years ago. It was delivered by a man that asked some tough questions about what the current school system is doing to our kids. He suggested that schools were killing creativity and as I listened to him speak, I had to admit, he was right.

Sir Ken Robinson's words changed the way I teach. Because of him, I teach creativity with intention. I offer a personalized approach to meeting student needs. I use the inquiry process with every lesson and I encourage my students to find their passion and feed it.  I have learned more from him through his books, interviews, and talks than I have from any university course or professional development. And now, I get to be in the same room as him! I'm not joking when I say I'd rather meet Sir Robinson than Santa.

He is the keynote speaker at Summit at the Pier, a student leadership conference being held on October 1-2. The conference is for students from grades 9-12...no adults! I have the awesome privilege of being a facilitator at the conference and therefore, will have the chance to hear him speak. For the adults that are dying to hear from him, the organizers of the Summit are hosting a brunch and fireside chat with the man of the hour in a more intimate setting. Tickets to this event are being snatched up quickly. I will also be attending the brunch and I am buzzing with excitement.

Not often does one get to meet their role model. If given the chance, I'd love to ask him a question. But here's the snag, what do I ask? If it were a one on one, I'd be firing questions at him like a machine gun. However, I will be competing with dozens of other keeners that will bite, slash, and claw their way to get that chance to exchange a few words with their guru (or maybe that's just me...I can be feisty). So, I need to think carefully. I may only have one shot at this and it needs to be good. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment